Tensions rise between Sanco and Tshwane metro over debt collectors

Tensions were mounting between the South African Civic Organisation (Sanco) and the Tshwane metro over the demand to terminate the services of 34 agencies employed to recover millions of debt from residents.

The metro has issued a tender to various companies in a bid to recover outstanding monies from residents and businesses.

“The metro will not be terminating the services of these billing agencies as their services are needed to support the financial turnaround of the municipality,” acting Tshwane mayoral spokesperson Jordan Griffiths told Pretoria Rekord last Thursday.

This followed a Sanco protest action to the Tshwane House last Wednesday, where marchers demanded among others, that the metro should terminate the appointments of billing agencies, saying their appointments were done without public consultation.

“The metro using debt collectors to get residents to pay their overdue bills will never happen,” Sanco said.

Addressing the media at the Hotel 224 in Arcadia on the eve of the protest, Sanco Gauteng provincial chairperson Chris Malematja said President Cyril Ramaphosa issued a directive for all to wash their hands given the current coronavirus pandemic.

“But how on earth can the Tshwane metro then say we must pay for that very same water?”

Malematja said money had been set aside to assist during the lockdown and it was “high time it was used”.

“In Johannesburg, R400-million was set aside and used to clear people’s debt incurred during Covid-19. We are saying the Tshwane metro is not special and the same must happen.”

MK veterans attended the Sanco protest to provide support. Photo: Ron Sibiya

Addressing thousands of Sanco members outside the Tshwane House, Sanco Tshwane regional chairperson Abram Mashishi said the appointment of billing agencies had to be terminated with immediate effect.

He said thousands of people had lost their jobs during lockdown and, therefore, debt accumulated during this period, and all accounts affected by high billing system should be reassessed.

“Because the country is still in a technical lockdown, all debt collection must be put on hold.”

Mashishi said the metro should not demand people to pay while the country was still in lockdown and thousands of people were unemployed.

“The historic high billing system must be reassessed and all bills cancelled.”

Mashishi warned that they would escalate their protests should the metro fail to meet their demands.

The Tshwane metro, on the other hand, justified the appointment of the collection agencies as a step in the right direction.

Griffiths said the metro needed to collect on its debt or face further financial difficulty.

“Debt collection cannot be put on hold and bills will not be scrapped, bills need to be paid.”

Protesters call on the Tshwane Metro to first conduct a public participation before appointing debt collectors. Photo: Ron Sibiya

Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news

Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.
Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).

Read original story on rekordeast.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button