News / South Africa / Local News

Nadia Khan
2 minute read
22 Mar 2017
10:25 am

KZN primary school pupils accuse principal of sexual assault

Nadia Khan

Parents who arrived at the school to pick up their children alleged the pupils had come out of the bus screaming and crying.

Picture: Thinkstock

An Isipingo primary school principal in KwaZulu-Natal is the subject of a police investigation after several school pupils made allegations of inappropriate behaviour following a school excursion to the Midmar Dam in Pietermaritzburg.

According to parents who arrived at the school to pick up their children at about 5pm last Friday, the pupils had emerged from the bus screaming and crying.

One of the parents of the children who had been on the excursion spoke to Rising Sun Chatsworth on condition of anonymity.

She said: “We were in shock when our children came out of the bus screaming and crying. When we asked them what had happened, they said that the principal was touching them all over their bodies and was under the influence of alcohol.

“This is an outrage. We send our children on these school trips under the impression that they are safe. My child was deeply traumatised and does not want to return to school.”

Another parent said: “We entrusted our children to these teachers.  My child said that they had tried to tell them about the incident, but they did not listen to them. Our children’s rights have been violated. This matter must be dealt with immediately.”

Isipingo Ward 90 councillor Sunil Brijmohan, who was called to the school by the infuriated parents said: “The right channels were followed.

Isipingo police were called in, who responded within a few minutes.

Parents were requested to open charges following the allegations of inappropriate conduct by the party in question.

The special investigating unit was on scene, and statements were taken.

“We contacted the department of education and a meeting will be held at the school with department representatives on Wednesday to address the concerning matter. I will appreciate all parents to allow us to follow the process and not interrupt the school process.”

Isipingo police spokesperson Captain David Ragavan said: “We can confirm that a case of sexual assault was opened on Friday evening.

“The Umlazi FCS Unit is currently investigating the matter. No arrests have been made at this time.”

– Caxton News Service

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.