Nick Gordon
2 minute read
28 Nov 2013
6:00 am

Muller retains year-end crown

Nick Gordon

The year ended on a high note for Johnny Muller when he retained his South African light-heavyweight title at Emperors Palace earlier this week as the headliner on the "Christmas Cracker" bill.

FILE PIC. Johnny Muller during the press conference and weigh-in held at Emperors Palace in Kempton Park, 27 August 2013 to promote the Triple Thunder boxing tournament. Picture - Neil McCartney

Summoned to defend his crown against relative novice Vhonani Netshidamboni, the “Hurricane” blew his foe away inside two rounds with a loaded right hand, sending the challenger face first into the canvas. Muller was aggressive from the outset and landed several big shots in what was an exciting first round – the challenger showing some cheek as he tagged the champion with shots of his own.

But 47 seconds into the second round, the right hand landed and the fight was over, a 10 count not needed as Netshidamboni was out cold.

In the main supporting bout, Ryno Liebenberg disposed of a hapless Daniel Allotey with his left hand getting the job done in the first round.

The Ghanaian’s record suggests that he’s been in with some big names, like world title challenger George Groves, but the results suggest he was cannon fodder and Liebenberg used Allotey in the same fashion, his second low-grade opponent in as many fights. Surely the time is right for him to step up a level.

The only fight to go the distance on the five-fight card was the middleweight tussle over six rounds between Dowayne Combrink and Simon Mokoena in what was a decent test for the 22-year-old.

Combrink took his record to 9-1 after securing an unanimous points win with all three judges scoring 59-55 in his favour.

The opening bouts both ended in the first round as Ricardo Hiraman used a clever combination of body punches followed by a lethal right hand to stop Thabo Mohlake 1:23 into their featherweight bout.

Ronald Malindi got his professional career off to a winning start with a stoppage win over Vuyo Majavu. His right hand sent his opponent to his knees and referee Philip du Rand was forced into the count. The debutant followed with a left hook when the action resumed and the fight was waved off.