News / World / Africa

Bernice Maune
2 minute read
20 Nov 2017
12:57 pm

How Mugabe’s inner circle was severely beaten by soldiers during army takeover

Bernice Maune

While Zimbabwe's army has been commended for staging a bloodless coup, reports have emerged of how several Zanu-PF officials were physically assaulted by soldiers.

Army tanks have reportedly been seen heading towards Zimbabwe’s capital city, Harare, on Tuesday, heightening fears of a possible army take over. PHOTO: Supplied

During the evening of 14 November, the homes of top Zanu-PF officials who were close allies of President Robert Mugabe and his wife, Grace, were all mapped and targeted by the military.

Under the command of Constantine Chiwenga, head general of Zimbabwe Defence Force (ZDF), following the direct instructions of Emmerson Mnangagwa, the new interim president of Zanu-PF who was axed about two weeks ago, soldiers descended upon the homes of ministers and party officials.

Ignatius Chombo

The minister of finance was expelled from Zanu-PF yesterday and, together with the Mugabes, no longer holds any senior position in the party. He ran the finance portfolio for a month before being detained by the army. According to reports, a soldier died at Chombo’s residence as soldiers riddled his house with gunfire.

Kudzanayi Chipanga

The firebrand leader who said he would die for Mugabe was not only forced to retract his stinging comments on Chiwenga, but was also allegedly hit by soldiers before being made to go on live television and issue an apology to the army commander.



City Press reports that an intelligence officer was severely assaulted by soldiers and died from his injuries at a military barracks in Harare.

Albert Ngulube

Mugabe’s chief of security and the director of Zimbabwe’s Central Intelligence Organisation, Ngulube, was purposefully left in the dark and isolated from Mugabe so the army could detain him at his presidential palace in Harare.

He was seized by soldiers after he saw them heading towards Mugabe’s mansion. reports his personal belongings were taken.

“They took his cellphone, watch and gold chain and later detained and interrogated him. He was heavily battered. He has some cracks on his head, and could have died,” said an official.

This image of a bruised and swollen Ngulube at a hospital has been circulating on social media.


Paul Chimedza

The premier of Masvingo had caught wind of the army’s activities, and was en route to South Africa, but was found at an army roadblock. He too was beaten by soldiers and arrested.


You can’t fire a revolutionary leader, says Grace and Mugabe’s son

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.