Organisers defend Eminem media ban
Organisers of Eminem's Rapture Tour Concert have defended the barring of local media from his Rapture Tour concert.
Eminem. Image courtesy of Facebook
“In so far as press access to Eminem is concerned, as with all international artists, there are many requirements and stipulations which accompany a tour and this is just one of them,” Dainty Group and Primedia Events said in a joint statement.
“These parameters are not, as Sanef [SA Editors’ Forum] suggested, determined by the organisers, but by the artist and management team.”
Earlier in the day, Sanef condemned the fact that media photographers would not be allowed at the Cape Town leg of the show.
Deputy chairman Makhudu Sefara said that days before the event, newspapers were informed that Eminem did not allow media photographers or video operators at his performance. Instead his management would supply pictures and video material of the show.
The two companies said it was not always possible to please everyone.
“Photo opportunities are not a guarantee with any artist and hence many such contracts do not include the publicity opportunities that we would all like,” the two companies said.
They said the accreditation forms for media were sent out two weeks ago with clear instructions on Eminem’s stipulations.
After Cape Town, Eminem was scheduled to perform at Ellis Park, Johannesburg, on March 1.