Oscar Trial to run until April
The Oscar Pistorius murder trial is expected to continue until April 4, a member of the prosecuting team said on Thursday.
South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is pictured in the dock during his ongoing murder trial, Pretoria, South Africa, Tuesday, 11 March 2014. Pistorius stands trial for the premeditated murder of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in February 2013. Picture: Kim Ludbrook/EPA/Pool
Answering a query by reporters at the High Court in Pretoria during a lunch adjournment, Andrea Johnson said heads of argument would be prepared after April 4.
Court would be in recess between April 7 and 11 and would not sit, she said.
Heads of argument would be submitted after the recess, and Judge Thokozile Masipa and her two assessors would then consider their verdict.
The trial was originally set down from March 3 to 20.
Pistorius is accused of the premeditated murder of model and law graduate Steenkamp in his home on February 14 last year.
He is also charged with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and two counts of discharging a firearm in public.
He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Evidence so far has included the reconstruction of a toilet cubicle, marks on an autographed cricket bat, and varying versions of screams and gunshots heard from the direction of Pistorius’s home.