News / South Africa / Local News

Corlia Kruger
1 minute read
5 Feb 2017
5:01 pm

Substation catches fire in PTA

Corlia Kruger

One of the substations caught fire, disrupting a section of the centre.

Image: Pareto

A substation caught fire at Menlyn Park shopping center early on Sunday, Pretoria East Rekord reports.

Facebook-users said the shopping center was without power and had been closed due to a fire.

The center said it was soon business as usual.

“Electricity has been restored after one of the substations caught fire this morning disrupting a section of the centre,” read the statement.

READ MORE: PICS: Silverton shopping center engulfed on fire

“The Tshwane Fire Department reacted swiftly and the electricians attended to the problem. No injuries were sustained. The shopping center is trading as normal.”

Johan Pieterse, spokesperson for Tshwane emergency services, confirmed that the fire was quickly extinguished.

“A plastic, artificial carpet, in the basement had caught fire,” he explained.

– Caxton News Service

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.