Executive Tshwane Mayor Solly Msimanga was urgently admitted to hospital on Monday morning.
According to information given to The Citizen by his spokesperson, the mayor was on his way to his office in Centurion when he stopped along the way to try to help a person who was experiencing car trouble.
Mayoral spokesperson Samkelo Mgobozi said the mayor got out of his car and offered to help, after which he opened the stranded person’s car bonnet.
“On opening the bonnet the mayor was suddenly exposed to fumes and also sustained minor burns,” Mgobozi said.
Msimanga was immediately rushed to the Unitas Hospital where he is currently being treated.
“He also experienced shortness of breath caused by the fumes to which he was exposed.
“The mayor said he is fine and will resume his duties shortly,” Mgobozi said.
No further information was available.