Getrude Makhafola
1 minute read
12 Apr 2018
1:48 pm

Police release identities of Limpopo mineworkers killed in petrol bomb attack

Getrude Makhafola

Police said assailants boarded a work bus and set off a petrol bomb before fleeing the scene.

Police forensics on Thursday released the names of the six mineworkers killed after a petrol bomb was set off inside the bus they were travelling in headed to Limpopo’s Modikwa Platinum Mine near Burgersfort earlier this month.

They are Moniccah Mabilo, 57, from Ga Mahlokwane village, Johannes Malepe, 56, Ziphora Makuwa, 48, both from Driekop, Solomon Komana, 37, Simon Mahlokwane, 42, both from Ga Mahlokwane village and 58-year-old Pheta Ranku from Lesotho, spokesman Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said on Thursday.

Police said assailants boarded a work bus and set off a petrol bomb before fleeing the scene, leaving six workers burnt beyond recognition and 28 others severely injured. The workers were en route to work nightshift.

Five people have since been arrested and made their second appearance in the Mecklenburg Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with six counts of murder, attempted murder and malicious damage to property. The case was postponed to April 26 for a bail application.

ALSO READ: WATCH | Kempton Park home goes up in flames

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.