CrimeNews

UPDATE: “The justice system failed me”

Dillon was beaten up by a group of men aged 24, 22 and 17 during a fight in Stanger Manor on September 8 last year.

The mother of Dillon Puckree, a young Glenhills taxi conductor who was badly beaten and later died from his injuries last year, is heartbroken that the three men accused of killing her son were recently granted bail.

Dillon was beaten up by a group of men aged 24, 22 and 17 during a fight in Stanger Manor on September 8 last year.

The incident that sent shock waves through the community left the 24-year-old man with multiple injuries, most of which were sustained to his head.

Enraged, Stanger residents took to the streets outside the KwaDukuza Magistrates court last year in protest against the release or bail of the three accused.

Also read: Puckree’s mother recalls morning she lost her son

However, the case was transferred to the Durban High Court where the men were granted bail on December 20.

Speaking to the Courier, Pushpa, who now lives alone, said she felt the justice system had failed her.

“Their applications were denied in KwaDukuza for months but then the docket was handed over to the Durban High Court and after one appearance, they were granted bail. It is very disheartening.”

The heartbroken mother said she prayed there would still be a chance for her son to get justice.

“Dillon was my only son and I do not have anyone else. I do not want his death to be in vain.”

Glenhills CPF chairperson Clinton Gumede said the community may not still be protesting outside the court but they were fully behind their call of justice for Dillon.

“Those men should not have been granted bail. I saw one of them walking around in Spar recently. It is unfair that they get to go on with life while Dillon will never get a second chance.”

The three accused are set to reappear at the Durban High Court on January 27.

>>  Ready to say ‘I Do’ on the Dolphin Coast? Meet the team ready to advise, help and deliver on your big day.

>>  Visit our Education feature for a collection of all the best schools, tutoring systems, and even some colleges and training facilities on the North Coast.

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.

Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on FacebookXInstagram & YouTube for the latest news.

Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from North Coast Courier in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button