Etete rape case continues
Community continues to oppose bail, case dragging its feet.
More than 100 residents of Etete protested outside KwaDukuza Magistrate Court on Wednesday, September 16, opposing bail for the man accused of raping and killing a five-year-old child in July.
The crowd handed over a memorandum to the court manager Nishi Lalbahadur who said she will pass it on to the magistrate. The memorandum stated that the accused is a threat to the community, and the community is not in favour of him receiving bail.
A number of Etete’s senior citizens were also present. They accused the same man of raping a senior citizen from Etete’s Stone City section last New Year’s Eve.
The case has been postponed again until Wednesday, September 30.
Community policing forum Bongumusa Mkhize said the community would only stop protesting outside court if the accused is denied bail.
“The community is angry because the bail hearing has been postponed numerous times,” he said.
Last week the protesting crowd threatened to kill the accused, should he be released on bail.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.




