Delivery driver’s death renews safety concerns on Ballito Drive
Paramedics say accidents along the stretch of Ballito Drive between the intersections at McDonald's and Douglas Crowe Drive are worryingly common.
Ballito delivery driver Cyril Khuzwayo (44) died in a motorbike collision last Friday, renewing concerns about safety on busy Ballito Drive intersections at the town’s entrance.
Khuzwayo, who had worked as a Takealot delivery driver since April, died after his bike collided with a white bakkie at the McDonald’s intersection. Umhlali police confirmed that a case of culpable homicide is being investigated.
The Shaka’s Head resident and father of two will be laid to rest on Sunday.
Ballito Takealot branch operations manager Mark Riley said the company and Khuzwayo’s colleagues were deeply saddened by his passing.
“Our condolences go to the Khuzwayo family. We urge everyone on the road to be careful and adhere to the rules of the road to avoid such incidents,” said Riley.
According to IPSS Medical Rescue spokesperson Kelsey Meyrick, accidents along the stretch of Ballito Drive between the intersections at McDonald’s and Douglas Crowe Drive are worryingly common. She said paramedics respond to collisions in the area at least twice a week.

The Courier visited the McDonald’s intersection on Monday afternoon and witnessed concerning driving behaviour.
Within one hour, at least eight motorists were seen driving through red traffic lights. They included both taxi drivers and private motorists. Some taxis were also seen using the intersection to make U-turns.
The latest death has drawn questions about whether enough is being done to make the busy stretch safer.
iLembe Chamber CEO Cobus Oelofse said the Chamber had previously raised concerns with the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport about pedestrian safety along the P445, particularly between the Ballito Taxi Rank and surrounding commercial areas. Motorists accelerating between traffic lights in an attempt to catch green or amber lights were another concern, he said.
While stressing that the Chamber could not comment on the cause of Khuzwayo’s collision, Oelofse said more needs to be done to improve safety.
“This reinforces the urgency of addressing the general road-safety concerns that have been raised with the appropriate road authority,” he said.
Oelofse said the Chamber would again call for a review of pedestrian crossings, traffic-light phasing and the overall safety of the intersections.
“Road environments should not unnecessarily place the lives of pedestrians, our employees, delivery drivers, motorists and other road users at risk,” he said.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

