CrimeLocal newsNews

ATM bombers target Mondlo shop

“We believe that their first attempt failed and they went away to get more explosives."

POLICE are still investigating an ATM bombing that took place during the early hours of the morning last week Friday.

Reports state that three men, travelling in a white sedan, approached the Standard Bank ATM at Mangweni Store on Friday morning. Shortly thereafter a loud bang was heard from the ATM.

“We believe that their first attempt failed and they went away to get more explosives, as the person who occupies a room within the premises, said that the suspects seemed to have left and then returned and attempted to bomb the ATM a second time,” said Mr Themba Khondlo, who is the owner of the store.

ALSO READ: Former Vryheid High learner among the four shot dead in Nquthu

The second attempt also proved futile and it is believed that someone notified the police around this time as the men did not return for a third attempt.

The scene was attended by the bomb unit from Newcastle, Mondlo SAPS and Pietermaritzburg.

Although three men were taken in for questioning on Sunday, no arrests have been made and the police are requesting anyone with more information to contact the Mondlo SAPS.

ALSO READ: PREVIEW (Video): Vryheid rape accused says 6-year old was his girlfriend

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button