Local newsNews

‘He cocked the gun and pointed it at my head’

The resident said her countless attempts to the municipality to cut the grass near the river had fallen on deaf ears and no action had been forthcoming.

A resident on Finnemore Street in Paradise, would like to forget Thursday (March 28) after being held at gunpoint in her home.

Three men entered the resident’s property at around 8am, under the pretense of looking for piece-work.

The situation soon turned sour when the homeowner’s daughter-in-law, who was at home at the time, along with two domestic workers, was pushed around and shouted at by the men.

One of the intruders produced a firearm and held it to the domestic worker’s head and demanded money.

“He said I must show them where the money was and I kept saying I didn’t know,” she said.

“He cocked the gun and pointed it at my head again,” she said.

The domestic worker claims one of the men received a phone call on his cellphone and the reply was; ‘yes, I’m in the house.’

Speaking to the homeowner, she said she believed her house had been watched by these criminals before their attack.

The second domestic worker made her escape and dashed toward the driveway of the house. However, she was chased by one of the armed robbers and hit on the face.

“She said she was screaming like a hooligan to attract as much attention as possible,” says the resident.

The robbers fled the scene thereafter on foot, and allegedly fired a shot before disappearing into the thick bushes near the river.

Although no items were stolen, the homeowner and her daughter-in-law were taken to hospital and treated for shock.

“We are living in fear in our own houses. The slightest noise has my whole family on edge. We are paranoid and scared. My daughter-in-law had to leave Newcastle for a few days because she is so shaken up and traumatised,” said the distraught resident.

The resident said her countless attempts to the municipality to cut the grass near the river had fallen on deaf ears and no action had been forthcoming.

“If the grass wasn’t so high, the intruders wouldn’t have had a place to hide and spy on the home before conducting their criminal activity,” concluded the resident.

Head of Communications at the Newcastle Municipality, Doctor Dumisani Thabethe was contacted about the river and the long grass and gave residents the following advice:

“Residents should come to Parks Section Offices on 39 Hardwick Street or call the office on 034 328 7714 to lodge their complaints, from Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 4pm. The reference number will be given to the complainant in case they want to follow-up on their complaints.”

When questioned about this matter which was escalated to the ward councillor, who reportedly did not intervene, Dr Thabethe says the office of the mayor should be able to resolve such issues.

Dr Thabethe went on to explain grass cutting for Paradise was included in the first grass cutting schedule, which was done from January 29 to February 15.

“The next grass cutting for Paradise will commence on the April 8,” says Dr Thabethe.

He said an inspection was conducted immediately after receiving the complaint and it was discovered the sidewalk had been recently cut according to the grass cutting schedule.

“The only challenge is the overgrowth that is alongside the river, and it is not the Parks Section’s function to maintain river banks,” concluded Dr Thabethe.

ALSO READ: Estate agent’s devastating home invasion horror


Contact us

WhatsApp: 082 874 5550

Email: Reveshni Douglas (Editor) at reveshni@caxton.co.za

Make sure you follow us for constant updates:

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button