MunicipalNews

No new dump site for Centurion

Despite the upset of residents in Centurion, the Tshwane metro has announced that no new land will be allocated toward a new dump site for the area.

No site will be allocated for a new, much-needed landfill, the Tshwane metro said on Thursday. This came after reports surfaced that a new dump site would be identified, since the Garstkloof landfill site on Delmas Road is full and has been closed. Residents in Centurion previously threatened to create an illegal dump site, saying they could not afford to queue at the Lyttelton site.

Since the closure of the Delmas dump, residents and garden services have begun to use the Lyttelton site, but have experienced poor service delivery. The dump site in Rooihuiskraal was not much better, and residents were upset that only certain vehicles were allowed on the premises, without them being given a proper explanation as to the reason why. Many garden service businesses have been advised to go to the Hatherly dump in Mamelodi, but are reluctant to do so as this would have economic implications for their businesses.

One resident in Lyttelton, who asked not to be named, said the only option was for residents to create an illegal dump site, because then the metro would take their concerns seriously. “We have not visited the dump site this week, but until new sites are opened, the problems will persist, especially in terms of the disposal of building rubble,” he said.

Tshwane’s Blessing Manale said the Garstkloof landfill site was full and had been temporarily closed until the development of a new cell and re-grading of the slope was complete. It would then be reopened until the last cell was full, after which it would be closed permanently. Manale added that options being considered for the future use of the land included garden refuse composting. “The Tshwane metro has no plans to develop new land fill sites, as its future waste management plans are to reduce land filling. The council aims to separate, reuse and recycle about 50% of its waste in five years’ time,” he concluded.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button