GalleriesLocal newsNewsNews galleriesUpdate

“Chief” laid to rest

“Chief” Velaphi Victor Lekhuleni was laid to rest over the weekend.

“Chief” Velaphi Victor Lekhuleni (48), the man who lodged a land claim against almost half of Pretoria earlier this year, was laid to rest over the weekend at a secret place.

Lekhuleni will also be remembered as the principal of the Bakgatla Ba Lekhuleni initiation school for boys and girls in Mamelodi.

Hundreds of initiates said farewell to Lekhuleni on Saturday as his body was carried by horse carriage to Mamelodi West hall where he was kept for burial at a secret place that night.

Lekhuleni was survived by his wife Agnes Lekhuleni, sisters, nine children and three great grandchildren. He worked as principal of Bakgatla Ba Lekhuleni initiation school from 2004 up to his death.

Headman of “chief” Lekhuleni, Guli Molondolozi said: “I have lost a friend, a brother, leader and a hero. When I received a call that he had been shot I was so shocked because it was 30 minutes after I had spoken to him. We were still planning a lot but what I can say is that chief Lekhuleni was a great man.”

Molondolozi added that “chief” Lekhuleni was a good leader and looked after many disadvantaged families.

“He had played a good role in the community, running the initiation school since 2004 until he met his death. He was involved in community projects, school projects and was also a member of the moral regeneration group in Mamelodi. May his soul rest in peace,” said Molondolozi.

Read: Land claim continues despite murder of “chief”

“Chief” land claimant shot and killed

Royal family disowns “chief”

Massive land claim in east and north of Pretoria

Residents call for land claim to be rejected

Massive land claim shocks parts of Pta

For more community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

Also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.

We’re offering a free alert to help you always be in the loop. Send an email with the word ‘Subscribe’ to breakingnews@rekord.co.za to receive your free breaking news update.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button