CrimeLocal newsNews

Police intensify visibility as threat-filled weekend approaches

The security alert in question was sent out on October 26 by the US Embassy warning of a potential terror attack in the greater Sandton area on October 29.

The Lyttelton SAPS said it would increase police visibility around large gatherings this weekend following a terror attack warning by the US embassy.

Police spokesperson Captain Dave Miller asked residents to be cautious this weekend.

“Try to treat it like any other day in South Africa,” said Miller.

“If your gut tells you something is peculiar or untoward, report it. The quicker things are reported, the faster we can respond to situations and assist.”

File image for illustration.

He also said that these measures were being taken as a contingency plan due to the threat against public safety.

The security alert in question was sent out on October 26 by the US embassy, warning of a potential terror attack in the greater Sandton area on October 29.

Speculation has been that the Johannesburg gay pride event taking place on the same day in the same area could be the target.

So far, the pride festive is set to go ahead as planned; however, residents were advised to exercise caution, especially at a large gathering.

“We are not saying to people ‘don’t go to large gatherings’ but rather always stay vigilant when you are at one,” Miller continued.

Lyttelton SAPS station commander Brigadier TP Matlala also asked residents to report any suspicious activity or objects to the police through the emergency numbers without delay.

ALSO READ: Condolences and messages of support stream in for Grade 1 learner killed in school parking lot

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button