CrimeNews

NPA says jailed former Sanlam employee who stole R6-million tarnished the company’s reputation

Between June 2020 and June 2021, the Pretoria man stole pensions and provident funds meant for investors or members.

The National Prosecuting Authority described a recently jailed former Sanlam employee, Loyd Koketso Tshotlang, who stole R6.1-million in pension and provident funds, as greedy and that he tarnished the reputation of the investment company.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said Tshotlang was employed as senior administrator for corporate employment benefit payment by Sanlam in July 2019. He started defrauding clients a year later.

“With the proceeds of crime, he bought himself luxury items and an expensive lifestyle.  After internal investigations by Sanlam, Tshotlang was arrested on 29 June 2021 and has been in custody since, after the NPA successfully opposed bail,” she said.

The man from Atteridgeville in the west of Pretoria was convicted on September 18 of 16 counts of theft.  This week, Tshotlang was sentenced to 15 years in prison by the Pretoria specialised commercial crimes court.

“In court he pleaded guilty to the charges against him, and told the court, through his legal representative, that he was remorseful for his deeds.

“However, Advocate Tshepo Nkadimeng argued for a deterrent sentence that would send a message. He further told the court that Tshotlang had been in a position of trust and had abused that trust by stealing millions from his employer because of greed and his desire to live a life of opulence.”

ALSO READ: Pretoria ‘pensioners’ in police corruption case in hot water about Sassa fraud

Mahanjana said the magistrate agreed with the state.

“He [the magistrate] said the consequences of Tshotlang’s crime were severe, the money stolen was invested by people with an understanding that they would gain financially. Moreover, his conduct tarnished the image of Sanlam among its investors and clients.

“Therefore, the sentence given was appropriate.”

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button