Local newsNews

Margate and Uvongo beaches open in time for Easter

Some good news ahead of the holidays.

Uvongo beach and lagoon and Margate lagoon were finally opened this week, ahead of the Easter holidays.

This good news comes after Margate lagoon had been closed following the fish kill incident on February 12.

IN CASE YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED IT : More contamination keeps Margate beach and lagoon closed

France Zama, spokesman for Ugu District Municipality, said water samples taken at strategic points along the lagoon had indicated E.coli counts to be above the recommended limit as prescribed by the South African Water Quality Guidelines for coastal marine waters and, as a result, the lagoon had been closed.

“Regular water sampling has been carried out at strategic points to monitor E.coli counts and the latest water sample result has revealed the E.coli count to be compliant and the lagoon was opened on Tuesday for recreational use,” he said.

Ward 2 Councillor Dave Watson welcomed the opening of the Nkongweni Estuary and said rehabilitation work must now commence on restoring the beach levels and draining the stagnant water. “Season is nearly upon us and we call on Ugu and Ray Nkonyeni Municpality (RNM) to share our passion for the town and its future and deliver the necessary service levels that they are supposed to supply,” he said.

Uvongo beach and lagoon were also closed last month due to a sewage spillage arising from a dislodged sewer pipe under the Uvongo main bridge.

Mr Zama said the dislodging of the pipe had occurred due to soil erosion arising from a storm that had hit the coast on the night of Thursday, February 22.

“The pipe was repaired on the same day. However, due to an unprecedented amount of effluent discharging directly into the lagoon, Environmental Health Services displayed warning signs to prohibit swimming, fishing, collection and consumption of all sea creatures from the lagoon,” he explained.

As the lagoon flows directly onto the beach, it was also then closed by RNM beach management for recreational purposes.

No further spillages from the lagoon were reported.

Mr Zama pointed out that a team from their environmental offices has been conducting samples on a regular basis to determine the E.coli counts and recent results obtained indicate that the water is now suitable for recreational purposes as the E.coli count is within the prescribed limits.

 

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button