CrimeNews

Missing pregnant nurse found dead by birdwatcher in Oribi Gorge

The healthcare worker had been missing since last Wednesday.

The body of a pregnant nurse was found on a steep slope near a tree at Oribi Gorge last Friday morning.

The gruesome discovery was made by a Johannesburg birdwatcher, who contacted the police.

Nelisa Cele (31),  who was six months pregnant, had been an enrolled nurse at Gamalakhe Community Healthcare Centre since 2011.

It is believed that on Wednesday last week, she was due to take delivery of a new vehicle when she went missing.

ALSO READ: Mystery as man’s body is found in Merlewood stream

“The visitor from Johannesburg took a closer look at an image of a bird he had captured on his camera and noticed what looked like a body in the picture,” said health spokesman, Ncumisa Mafunda.

The birdwatcher confirmed that it was indeed a body covered in a cloth, and alerted the police.

Warrant officer Marc Wiid (left) and Sergeant Rommel da Rosa from Port Shepstone Search and Rescue retrieve the woman’s body.

“It is believed that those responsible for Ms Cele’s death had thrown her body down the cliff in the hopes that it would never be found,” said Ms Mafunda.

The Port Shepstone Search and Rescue Unit retrieved the body from the steep slope.

Police spokesman Captain Nqobile Gwala said the body showed signs of severe assault. A case of murder is being investigated by Paddock police and no arrests have been made. A post mortem examination will be conducted to establish the cause of death.

The memorial service for Ms Cele will be held at the Methodist Church in Gamalakhe tomorrow (Thursday) at 1pm. She will be buried on Saturday.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

For news straight to your phone, add us on WhatsApp 082 421 6033

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Sugan Naidoo

Senior reporter Sugan Naidoo is a true son of the South Coast soil. He was to the newspaper industry born, his late father working at the South Coast Herald back in the days when black and white photographs were still being used. Sugan has been with Caxton for close to three decades, having started as a weekend photographer, straight out of school. He soon showed his skill in hard news reporting and has, over the years, added to his repertoire, with motoring now one of his important beats. He is always willing to go the extra mile, especially if it's to test drive a new vehicle. He supports the Proteas, Springboks and Manchester United.
Check Also
Close
Back to top button