LettersOpinion

OPINION: ‘Port Edward’s main beach needs more law enforcement’

Music blared from vehicles and by late afternoon the youngsters were getting in the party mood.

DEAR Editor;

It would seem Port Edward has changed its face.

No longer is it the quaint and safe holiday destination of decades past.

This must be said for many other towns in South Africa.

The Port Edward beachfront has become the party destination of hundreds of Eastern Cape revellers.

Last week Sunday (Valentine’s Day) saw hundreds of revelers descend on to the main beach.

It was full and taxis, vehicles and people gathered on the grassy verge between Splash Rock and the Portuguese monument.

Braai fires were lit and alcohol was openly consumed in public.

Music blared from vehicles and by late afternoon the youngsters were getting in the party mood.

Vehicles were seen careening up-and-down the road and the parking, some of them with young girls hanging out of the open back windows as the vehicles spun in ‘donuts’ in the parking lot.

Onlookers applauded and screeched encouragement. It was a very dangerous situation.

Apparently locals had notified and called police and protection services but they were not evident.

Protection Services are not available afterhours or over weekends.

Many locals voiced their opinions and their disgust at the behavior that was allowed to go unchecked.

Residents of port Edward, and many other local beachside towns, can no longer feel safe using their own beach facilities.

The situation has become dangerous and is illegal and the residents are fed up with the unavailability of both Saps and Protection Services.

Apparently a resident phoned the police and was told that they did not have a vehicle or the manpower to deal with the situation.

So, what are Port Edward residents meant to do?

Apart from having to put up with the invasion of non-locals, the water crisis continues with some areas being without you water for almost 10 days.

Every day it is promised that the reservoirs are filling up, but nothing happens.

The situation has become very unpleasant and a health hazard.

Gary Bircher, owner of GP Security, said Port Edward seems to have become the party spot of choice for hundreds of Eastern Cape thrill seekers, especially over weekends.

He reckoned the incident was unfortunate but law enforcement is stretched.

Further, the Covid-19 crisis has not helped the situation and unfortunately crime is spiralling.

Residents are urged to be extra cautious during these times.

PHILIPPA MAKEPEACE

RESPONSE
This office can confirm that Port Edward police did receive a complaint of disturbance.
As soon as the police received the complaint, they immediately organised man-power and the complaint was attended to.
Those people who were causing the disturbance were warned.
The police were thanked by community members for the response.

SERGEANT SBU NCANE
Communication, Liaison and Marketing

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button