Businesses take stock of the flood devastation

A cellphone repair shop in Amanzimtoti CBD, was one of the most affected by the floods with an estimated R70 000 worth of damage.

THE eThekwini Municipality’s Forecast Early Warning System reported that Amanzimtoti and Isipingo were drenched with 184mm of rain between midnight and 05:00 on February 19, equivalent to two months’ worth of rainfall in just five hours.

Also read: [Video] Flood victim’s; bodies recovered in Adams Mission and KwaMakhutha

In Amanzimtoti, the CBD was drenched in calf-deep stagnant water due to the poor drainage system. The area overlooking the train station, which spans Andrew Zondo Road, Bjorseth Crescent, and Commercial Road, was inaccessible at daybreak.

Rasta Mohammed, who runs a cellphone repair shop in that area, was one of the most affected by the floods. When he arrived to open up in the morning, he found everything in the shop submerged in water. Cellphones and laptops that had been brought in for repairs suffered irreparable water damage.

“I estimate the damage to be around R70 000. After mopping up, we’ll see if anything can be salvaged,” said Mohammed.

At Isipingo Beach, the Isipingo Island Hotel was flooded in knee-deep water, causing it to suspend operations while waiting for water to subside. Many companies in Prospecton had to turn staff away for safety reasons as their workstations were flooded.

Ward 90 councillor, Shad Nowbuth, said the rains not only caused a huge inconvenience but led to a huge strain on finances for several property owners.

“The proprietors of the Isipingo Island Hotel suffered tremendously and began mopping up in earnest. The hotel is now back in business. Roadways were cleared of debris and all eThekwini Municipality’s service delivery departments, including electricity, water and sanitation, roads and stormwater departments, rallied to assist. The gallant efforts of those residents who, without hesitation, took up spades to breach the Isipingo River mouth at 03:00 in heavy rain to prevent further flooding must be applauded,” said Nowbuth.

Ndabezinhle Sibiya, the spokesperson for the KZN Department of Transport and Human Settlements said heavy downpours and mudslides are increasing in frequency and severity due to climate change. He said a new design of culverts has been introduced to improve drainage and minimise flooding.

For more South Coast Sun news, follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter and get news delivered straight to your inbox.

Do you have more information pertaining to this story? Feel free to let us know by commenting on our Facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Sun in Google News and Top Stories.

Vusi Mthalane

Vusi Mthalane is a senior journalist with the South Coast Sun newspaper. With more than 13 years of newsroom experience, he covers stories that matter to communities along the South Coast, from Isipingo to Umgababa. His work has also appeared in The Witness, Zululand Fever, and the South Coast Fever.

Related Articles

Back to top button