Orlando Pirates will kickoff their Caf Confederation Cup campaign against Congolese side MSC Diables Noirs at Stade Alphonse Massemba-Débat pon in Brazzaville on Friday.
The Buccaneers are surely aiming for a more improved showing this time around, having finished last season’s competition in the quarter-finals after they were knocked-out by Moroccan outfit Raja Casablanca with a 5-1 aggregate score.
Against the Congolese club, they go up against a side that beat Burundian outfit, Bumaruru FC 1-0 in the second leg to get to this stage after playing to a goalless draw in the first meeting during the first round.
A good start would be vital for the Buccaneers, but, who are Diables Noirs:
– The Congo based club’s full name is Multidisciplinary Sports Club Diables Noirs.
– They are based in the capital city of Brazzaville.
– Diables Noirs have appeared six times in the Caf Champions League, but ended up in the preliminary stages on all occasions.
– They have competed in the Caf Confederation Cup three times before, getting knocked out in the preliminary round in 2004, in the first round in 2006 and in the second round in 2013.
– They are nicknamed the Black Devils.
– Lorry Nkolo is one of the team’s key players, with the striker having scored the only goal that saw the club qualify for this round.
– Hardy Binguila is another name that the Buccaneers will have to keep a bated eye on. With a knack for goals, the midfielder is a Congo national team player and is entrusted as the playmaker of the club. The 25-year old Binguila has a wealth of experience having played in France for AJ Auxerre and in Albania for FC Tirana.
The return leg is scheduled for the 22nd of October at the Orlando Stadium.