CrimeNews

Car that was reported hijacked was in fact repossessed

For the longest time he had been running away from the bank by not answering their phone calls and moving from one place to another.

A man faces a charge of perjury after he lied to the police about his car being hijacked when in actual fact it was repossessed.

He opened this case at Witbank Police Station almost two months ago, stating that his white Opel Corsa utility was hijacked in Geringer Street on his way to an interview.

This happened on Tuesday morning, February 14 where the 43-year-old man before going to the interview, stopped at a filling station to refill his petrol tank. After passing the first stop street he noticed that a Volkwagen Polo Sedan had been following him from the filling station. When he stopped at the second stop street, the Polo Sedan stopped and apparently blocked his way.

It is alleged the vehicle had three suspects inside who pointed a firearm at him and forced him out of the vehicle.

After investigation the above turned out to be false, as it stands he faces a charge of perjury for lying under oath. Witbank Police spokesperson, Capt Eddie Hall said that those writing false statements under oath for insurance or any other purposes will be prosecuted for perjury.

The actual story is that on Monday, March 27 Lt Col Solly Thobejane received information that the vehicle was repossessed by Wesbank not what was written on the police report. Commander of the trio task team, Lt Col Thobejane investigated the matter teaming up with the bank and the man in question was contacted. The plan was for the man to come to the station as police had found his car which was hijacked. He had to come with his identity document which is necessary to identify a stolen vehicle, all this was done with the aim of arresting him when he arrives.

According to the agreement the man was supposed to go to the police station on Thursday, March 30 at 12:00 but he did not pitch. Lt Col Thobejane the following day asked through a phone call why he could not make it as agreed and he said he worked the entire day. He promised to make a turn around 10:00 that day. Later that day he got there and he was locked behind bars.

Mr Abel Morele who works at Wesbank confirmed that the man lied about the car being hijacked instead of it being repossessed.

“I had to lie and set him up for an interview as we had been looking everywhere for this man,” said Morele.

For the longest time he had been running away from the bank by not answering their phone calls and moving from one place to another. At some point he even alleged he was in hospital.

“I was shocked to be told the story was in the newspaper with the information written as that is not what happened when we took the car from him on Valentines’ Day. He even signed papers acknowledging that he is aware he had not being paying the car for almost a year now. He also did not even stop at the garage for petrol as he claims,” said Morele.

Lt Col Thobejane sang the same tune as Capt Hall also sending a warning to community members who come to the station to open crime related cases. He says rest assured they will be arrested and also motorists must be careful when driving in areas such as French and Jellicoe Street as those are high hijacking spots.

He made his first appearance on Monday, April 3 the Witbank Magistrate Court.

Read also:

https://www.citizen.co.za/witbank-news/28582/sentenced-perjury/

https://www.citizen.co.za/witbank-news/68387/suspect-arrested-for-perjury/

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Witbank News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button