Local newsNews

COVID-19: Campaign to double KZN vaccination numbers

KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala alongside Health MEC Nomagugu Simelane are leading an intensified Covid-19 vaccination campaign across the province.

IN an effort to boost numbers and achieve herd immunity, KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala alongside Health MEC Nomagugu Simelane are leading an intensified Covid-19 vaccination campaign across the province.

This as the province falls short of its daily target of vaccinating 60 000 people per day.

ALSO READ: COVID-19: Game industry still losing jobs and revenue

‘Right now we are vaccinating between 30 000 and 35 000 per day.

‘We want to double these vaccination numbers by opening the drive-thru sites, allowing people to vaccinate while sitting in their cars,’ the premier said.

Zikalala began the roll-out of ‘Siyagoma Wayawaya’ (we are vaccinating, let no one be left behind) campaign with an official launch of the vaccine drive-thru at uMhlathuze Sports Complex in Richards Bay on Friday.

‘The mass vaccination programme will see members of the provincial cabinet venture into churches, community residential units (or hostels), shopping malls, and other places to drum up support for the vaccination.

‘We want to encourage people to vaccinate because it is through vaccination that we can help safeguard our people from Covid-19.

‘We are pleased with the turnout of people at sites in different areas, but the numbers show that it is mostly women so we also want to encourage men and the youth to take their jabs as well,’ said Zikalala.

Surge in Covid-19 cases

Addressing the province this past Sunday on the fight against Covid-19, Zikalala said the surge in cases has been driven by infections in schools.

‘A high number of learners and educators have been affected in eThekwini, uMgungundlovu, King Cetshwayo, uMkhanyakude and Ilembe districts.

‘A number of cluster cases have also been found at correctional centres, which affected both employees and inmates,’ said Zikalala.

As of Friday last week, private and public hospitals had a total of 1 940 patients admitted for Covid-19.

‘Between 1 June and 10 September, the province has lost 2 218 people to Covid-19.

‘eThekwini has the highest number of deaths, followed by uMgungundlovu, Amajuba and uThukela,’ he said.

HAVE YOUR SAY
Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
For news straight to your phone invite us:
WhatsApp – 060 784 2695
Instagram – zululand_observer
At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Zululand Observer in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button