CrimeLocal news

Breakthrough in Jackie Needham’s murder case

The brother of the murdered community icon and bed-and-breakfast owner said the latest arrest indicates that closure is closer. This follows an arrest of a fourth suspect and his subsequent appearance in the Durban High Court.

LAST Friday, police made a breakthrough when they nabbed a fourth suspect in the case of Jackie Needham’s gruesome murder. The murder took place in August 2022 and left the community reeling in shock. All suspects remain in custody, and they face charges of murder and robbery.

Needham was the owner of Beechwood B&B situated in Umbilo, and she was a beloved resident who was involved in community work. She was found murdered at the establishment.

Also read: Suspects arrested for murder of Glenwood business owner

According to Oscar Swanlund, the brother of the deceased, there was an arrest last week Friday. “The suspect was found with an unlicensed firearm. He is a criminal who has been arrested several times for robbery, mainly targeting B&Bs.”

“We left Glenwood a month ago, and we have relocated to the Little Karoo. Well done to all the role-players on outstanding work. The team has worked tirelessly since then with non-stop persistence,” he said.

The collaboration of the SAPS, the eThekwini District Trio Tracing Team and Crime Intelligence arrested three suspects in August 2023, and they later appeared at the Durban High Court.

Also read: Community reeling after Glenwood woman found dead

Last Friday, a well-coordinated operation resulted in the arrest of a fourth suspect, who is a ‘notorious criminal’. He appeared in court on Wednesday and is remanded in custody.

Umbilo SAPS spokesperson Captain Pumzile Biyana confirmed that the fourth suspect was a well-known criminal who had been arrested several times for robbery where he mainly targeted B&Bs. ‘All four suspects appeared in court, and they were all refused bail,” she said.

The matter has been remanded until September 13 for further investigation.

For more from Berea Mail, follow us on Facebook, X and Instagram. You can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel or follow us on TikTok.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Berea Mail in Google News and Top Stories.

Wendy Sithole

Wendy Sithole is currently a community media journalist, attached to Berea Mail (Durban). She first joined Caxton Newspapers in 2004. After a newsroom hiatus she rejoined Caxton in 2024. She is responsible for reporting through writing and photography, for both print copy and digital platforms. She studied Journalism and Social Sciences. Apart from reporting, Wendy possesses vast knowledge in the spheres Communication, of Public Relations and Events publicity.

Related Articles

Back to top button