Joburg Pride is turning 30 this year, and pride weekend will result in rainbow flags billowing around Sandton this weekend.
That doesn’t mean it’s a free-for-all. Here’s what you need to know heading into pride weekend:
• Pride weekend will kick off with a pre-pride party tomorrow at Babylon The Bar in Illovo. Expect drag queens and frivolity.
• Sandton City Mall and Sandton Central will host general pride events on Saturday, including the parade. This year marks seven years since Joburg Pride took on Sandton traffic.
“The Johannesburg Pride Parade and Festival is set to razzle and dazzle everyone through the many measures that have been implemented to guarantee a successful and memorable day,” says festival organiser Kaye Ally.
• Pride Village will be set up next to Sandton City, between Sandton Drive and 5th Street, with secure parking available at the mall. Easy access via the Sandton Gautrain station will also be available on Saturday.
• The Pride Village provides a safe space for all attendees to make sure they enjoy the day.
• There will be bars and food.
The official Johannesburg Pride March will kick off from the Pride Village at 2pm, guiding participants through the streets of Sandton.
• Adding to this year’s festivities is a mix of local and international performers, with the likes of Atlanta, Shaolin Funk, Darker Than White, DJ Tinkz, Locnville and Sketchy Bongo.
• Joining as this year’s festival as grand marshal is Brooke Lynn Hytes.
• For more information, visit prideofafrica.org
(Compiled by Adriaan Roets)