Horlicks ice cream
300ml fresh cream
4 egg yolks
75g castor sugar
100g Horlicks powder
37g cake flour, sifted
15ml (1 tbsp) castor sugar
60ml (¼ cup) milk
2,5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
2 bananas, sliced, to serve
Honey, to serve
Icing sugar, to dust
1. For the Horlicks ice cream, heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and castor sugar, using a whisk, until light and creamy. Stir in the Horlicks. Pour the hot milk and cream into the egg mix and whisk to combine.
2. Return to the heat and cook over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze, whisking thoroughly (or use a hand blender) every 30 minutes until frozen.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place a 10cm cast-iron skillet (pan with an ovenproof handle) or round ovenproof dish in the oven to preheat, at least 20 minutes.
4. For the puffed pancakes, combine the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and whisk together to form a smooth batter.
5. Once the pan is preheated, remove it from the oven. Coat the pan with the butter then immediately pour in the pancake batter and place back in the oven. Bake until the pancake is puffy and golden brown, 20 – 25 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and serve immediately topped with slices of banana drizzled with honey, and finished off with a dusting of icing sugar and a scoop of Horlicks ice cream.
Brought to you by Food and Home