With it’s originals being from Brighton, England, chicken a la king has become a global phenomenon and a favoured dish in many households.
This creamy chicken dish is the perfect dinner recipe for the gloomy weather for yourself and the family. Double the recipe to ensure that you have enough left over to indulge in the dish once more for lunch tomorrow.
While you can eat this chicken dish on it’s own, it is usually served on a bed or rice. If rice is not your thing, then you can pair this dish with any other starch dish of your choice.
Chicken a la king
- 1/2 cup of salted butter
- 225 grams of mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup of heavy creamy
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of chopped drained pimientos
- 4 cups of chopped cooked chicken
ALSO READ: Recipe of the day: Lemon pepper chicken
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in flour and stir until there are no more specks of flour left. Pour in chicken broth and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes.
- For a richer sauce: in a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with heavy cream. Working quickly, slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg mixture while whisking vigorously. Immediately pour this mixture back into the saucepan, whisking the entire time. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in frozen peas, drained pimientos, and cooked chicken and let heat through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot over cooked rice, pasta, toast, or biscuits.
This recipe was found on thestayathomechef.com