Happy Meatless Monday! Ditch the meat today and create this delicious and easy to prepare vegetarian walnut and lentil bolognese for yourself and the family.
This dish can be enjoyed on any other day too, and if you’re a vegetarian, you will be sure to love it and add it to you favourite list of pasta dishes.
If you are allergic to nuts then you can leave them out of this recipe for a delicious lentil bolognese pasta dish. If walnuts are not your cup of tea, then you can substitute them with your preferred nuts.
Walnut and lentil bolognese
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of grated carrots
- 1 cup of celery, minced
- 1 cup of onions, finely minced
- 1 cup of walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup of dried lentils (brown or green), rinsed in a fine mesh sieve
- 1 jar of marinara
- 6 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 packet of wide pasta noodles, such as pappardelle or tagliatelle
- parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese, optional
ALSO READ: Sweet Saturday treat: Banana pudding recipe
- In a large saucepan or braiser heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and lentils along with the salt, water and jar of marinara. Stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- When the lentils have reached your desired tenderness, transfer 2 cups of the sauce to a blender or food processor. Blend until nearly smooth. Add the blended sauce back to the pan and stir to combine. Blending is an optional step, but it helps add a creaminess without the need to add cream.
- Remove from heat, and serve over your favorite pasta—such as pappardelle or tagliatelle—and top with freshly grated or vegan parmesan cheese
This recipe was found on themodernproper.com