News

Municipality moves forward with controversial stand sales

STLM kicks off the sale of stands tomorrow, for municipal workers and councillors.

The Steve Tshwete Local Municipality has outlined the process for the sale of stands, which will commence tomorrow.

Speaking during a media briefing this afternoon, Prudence Magutle of the Directorate of Corporate Services, announced that the first round of stand sales would be for municipal workers and councillors on tomorrow, July 25.

Last year, the municipality placed an advertisement in the Middelburg Observer about the sale of 712 stands.

Of which, 598 would be for Dennesig North, 74 for Hendrina, 38 for Rockdale, one for Aerorand West, and one stand in Middelburg Extension 18.

The stands will be made available to the community at market value, with preference given to first-time buyers who will receive a 50% discount.

Sixty percent of the available stands will be reserved for the previously disadvantaged, including black, brown, and Indian buyers.

 

Municipality gave a quick rundown of the process

 

Magutle provided statistics on the stands and noted that the municipality handed out 14 500 application forms but received only 7 400 completed applications.

At least 7 100 forms were not returned for various reasons.

A total of 196 stands will be reserved for first-time buyers who earn less than R600 000, and these stands will be sold at a 50% discount.

ALSO READ: Tensions reach boiling point over Dennesig North stands

The remaining stands will be sold to individuals earning more than R600 000 at market value.

• At least 505 employees will compete for 50 stands, with preference given to long-serving employees.

During the verification process, workers with previous properties will be disqualified.

• Twenty-eight councillors have applied for the stands and will compete for 50 stands, alongside people living with disabilities.

Mayor Mhlonishwa Masilela is also among the first-time buyers competing to purchase a stand at market value.

Magulta said firmly that there would be further verification processes to disqualify undeserving candidates.

A raffle will not be used during the first round of stand sales.

 

Community unrest

 

The press briefing comes amid tension among residents who want the process halted due to allegations of corruption.

Residents picketed outside the municipality on Monday to urge the municipality to halt the process.

• Municipal Manager Mandla Mnguni assured that all law enforcement officers would be present on the day of the sale to ensure calm.

He also mentioned that a municipal worker captured on a voice note demanding a bribe of R2 000 from a potential buyer has been suspended pending an investigation.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Middelburg Observer in Google News and Top Stories.

Tiisetso Malunga

I have been working as a journalist/photographer since 2018 at the Middelburg Observer. Before joining Caxton I was a Journalism Student at the Tshwane University of Technology. I was also a broadcasting intern at the SABC in Pretoria. In my first year as a journalist I was awarded the Upcoming Journalist of the Year at the O H Frewin awards. My motto in life is ‘I am human before anything’ with that being said I am driven by human stories and I am a strong believer in justices and human rights.
Back to top button