Lesufi disappointed as 50 learners leave Höerskool Jan Viljoen

Claims of racism and sexual harassment at the school sent parents' tempers flaring earlier this year.

The parents of at least 50 learners have taken their children out of Höerskool Jan Viljoen recently.

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi expressed his disappointed in a tweet after revisiting the school last week on Thursday, March 10.

In addition to investigating racism claims at the school, the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) announced that a staff member employed by the SGB accused of sexual harassment had been placed on precautionary suspension. The GDE has since revealed several actions to be implemented, which can be read here.

As he addressed Hoërskool Jan Viljoen parents at the school’s sports grounds on Sunday afternoon, February 20 the MEC said management of the school indicated that indeed ‘there are challenges of racism at the school’ and that the school had confessed to finding the process of transition difficult.

“However, they’ve taken a stand to reject any form of racism within the school premises,” Lesufi said.

MEC Panyaza Lesufi said the GDE will continue to monitor the situation at Hoërskool Jan Viljoen. Photo: Twitter

Read original story on randfonteinherald.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Andrea van Wyk

Caxton’s Digital Editorial Manager. I am a journalist and editor with experience spanning over a decade having worked for major local and national news publications across the country and as a correspondent in the Netherlands. I write about most topics with a special interest in politics, crime, human interest and conservation.
Back to top button