KZN motorists urged to confess fraudulent licences as crackdown intensifies

Motorists who obtained licences through fraud are urged to come forward as KZN authorities intensify a crackdown on corruption at testing centres.

KZN Transport and Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma is appealing to motorists who obtained driver’s licences fraudulently to come forward, confess and help authorities dismantle the criminal networks behind the corruption.

The Witness reports that in what he described as a decisive turning point in the crackdown on licence fraud syndicates, Duma said the province is considering a truth and reconciliation-style process aimed at encouraging voluntary disclosures from those implicated in licence fraud.

Crackdown gains momentum

His comments come in the wake of a bribery scandal at the Pietermaritzburg licensing centre this week, where a learner driver and a driving instructor were arrested for allegedly paying so-called ‘cool drink money’ to influence testing outcomes.

“This marks the beginning of the dismantling of syndicates involved in fraud and corruption associated with driver’s licence tests,” Duma said.

The intensified crackdown is being driven by the revived Transport and Traffic Inspection Unit through its #NenzaniLaEzweni operations.

Duma warned that those involved in corrupt activities, whether in driving schools or testing centres, would be rooted out.

“These rogue elements must be exposed and isolated if we are to end the carnage on our roads,” he said.

Investigations reveal patterns

KZN Department of Transport spokesperson Ndabezinhle Sibiya said intelligence gathered so far has already revealed patterns in how these syndicates operate, strengthening the case for encouraging whistleblowing from within.

“The corruption playbook used by these syndicates has given us a sense of the rot in the system,” Sibiya said.

The Witness reported on Friday that the provincial Department of Transport had verified allegations of ‘cool drink money’ being used to secure licences fraudulently.

Sibiya said investigations are ongoing, with authorities indicating that more arrests are likely as they move to dismantle what is believed to be a deeply entrenched network of corruption undermining the integrity of the licensing system.

Industry distances itself

The arrests have sent shockwaves through the local driving instruction industry, prompting the Pietermaritzburg Driving Schools Association to distance itself from the incident.

In a statement, association chairperson Saziso Msomi said the body does not condone any form of corruption, bribery or unlawful conduct.

“We uphold strict ethical standards and expect all registered and affiliated instructors to comply fully with the law and regulatory requirements,” said Msomi.

He added that the association is a representative and advisory body and does not control the day-to-day conduct of individual instructors.

“As such, the association cannot accept responsibility or liability for the actions of the individuals involved in this incident.”

Msomi said the matter must be dealt with through the appropriate legal and regulatory channels and reiterated the association’s commitment to working with authorities to promote transparency and accountability.

He also sought to quell public concern, confirming that the Mkondeni Driving and Testing Centre remains open and operational despite rumours circulating on social media.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on witness.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button