Malmesbury teen linked to ‘764’ network to undergo mental evaluation
A magistrate has imposed strict conditions on proceedings involving a Western Cape boy accused of sexual assault and animal cruelty, warning attendees they could face jail for sharing case details.
A teenager now faces 15 charges related to child sexual assault and animal cruelty following his second appearance in the Malmesbury Magistrate’s Court today (August 20).
The 16-year-old from Malmesbury in the Western Cape, who initially faced 11 charges, was assessed by a district surgeon, who recommended that he undergo a mental evaluation.
Earlier this week, Caxton Network News reported that the teenager was arrested on Monday (August 17) after an investigation by the SAPS National Serial and Electronic Crime Investigations team, with support from several SAPS units and US law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and Homeland Security Investigations.
Western Cape SAPS spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Amanda van Wyk said at the time that intelligence indicated an individual with possible links to the violent online network ‘764’ was in South Africa, prompting his arrest.
The network is associated with child exploitation and reportedly targets and coerces minors into online sexual abuse, animal cruelty and other violent criminal activities.
Western Cape NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the court endorsed the doctor’s recommendation, referring the accused to Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital for mental evaluation.
Charges
“The charges include sexual grooming of a child, compelled sexual assault and sexual exploitation of a child, creation of child pornography, exposure or displaying pornography to a child by image, unlawful and intentional distribution of child pornography and possession of child pornography,” said Ntabazalila.
He said other charges include a data message that incites damage to property or violence, cruelty to animals and prohibition against filming and distribution of films and photographs depicting sexual violence and violence against children.
Court seals charge sheet
“The court took a precautionary step of sealing the charge sheet and all orders handed down by the court following a successful application by the state. The state took this position to protect the rights of the accused, who is a minor, the victims, and also his siblings and his family,” Ntabazalila explained.
He added that the NPA also applied for the court documents to be sealed after detailed accounts of the in-camera proceedings were published.
Place of safety
“The presiding officer, Mr McKenzie, has warned those attending court not to share proceedings of the court case or any documents that were handed in at court. The magistrate warned those who breached the order stand to be sentenced to three years’ direct imprisonment.”
In the meantime, the boy will be kept in a place of safety until his next court appearance on August 27 for a formal bail application.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za