27 minors found in Stilfontein mines to return to Mozambique

The teenage boys found in Stilfontein’s unused mines are being repatriated to Mozambique after being placed in temporary safe care.

Twenty-seven teenage boys are set to be repatriated to Mozambique after resurfacing from unused mines in Stilfontein more than a month ago, the North West Department of Social Development said.

In a statement today, the department said among the 27 undocumented children, 15 were found by police in Matlosana, and 12 others resurfaced from the abandoned mines. They were placed in temporary safe care in Mahikeng for two weeks.

Last month, the Department of Social Development revealed that about 96 undocumented children had been detained after being found as part of a group of illicit miners in Khuma, Stilfontein, in the North West.

The department said placing the minors in temporary safe care aligns with the provisions of the Children’s Act 38 of 2005, which mandates social workers or police officials to remove children in danger and place them in temporary safe care.

“On Tuesday at 00:00, the social workers managing the case set out to repatriate the children to the Lebombo border with a police escort. This followed permission from the court to release them from their place of safety and repatriate them, handing them over to their counterparts in Mozambique, who will reunify the children with their parents.

“This was made possible after the Mozambican Consulate issued temporary travel documents and enabled a care-to-care process between the Social Development Departments in both countries. This was facilitated by the Department of Social Development and International Social Workers Services. The children will be handed over to social workers at the Lebombo border,” the department said.

MEC for Social Development Basetsana Susanna Dantjie expressed profound gratitude to her departmental team, led by acting head of department Dr Fezile Ngqobe, for arranging temporary safe care and working tirelessly to repatriate the children.

“We thank all the stakeholders who came forward and played a critical role in ensuring that these children receive the necessary care and protection. We also thank the Mozambican Consulate for speeding up the repatriation process,” Dantjie said.

The MEC added that her department, along with stakeholders, is ready to provide similar services to other children who may resurface from old gold mines in Stilfontein. – SAnews.gov.za

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Ruan de Ridder

A digital support specialist at Caxton Local Media, known for his contributions to the digital landscape. He has covered major stories, including the Moti kidnappings, and edits and curates news of national importance from over 50 Caxton Local News sites.
Back to top button