Family devastated as teenager is found dead in Vlakfontein

The family have called on Police Minister Bheki Cele to address crime in the area as the girl's body was found a few kilometres from her home.

A teenage girl that was recently violently murdered near her home in Vlakfontein, Lenasia, has been described as young, full of life and energetic.

Teresa Socoza was last seen by her mother on February 18 after which her body was found dumped a few kilometres from her home.

According to the results of a post-mortem examination Socoza, a Grade 11 learner, was murdered. This was reportedly not the first similar incident in the area, with another girl being killed earlier. The perpetrator was not arrested.

Speaking to the Rising Sun Lenasia, family spokesperson Nomonde Mbele said the family is devastated and has more questions than answers.

Mbele explained that Socoza came home from school on Friday, after which she changed her school uniform and went to see a friend.

“She came back after a few minutes and left again.  The community started to look  for her when she did not return.

“At around midnight on Saturday, February 19, one of our neighbours inquired whether we had found our child. She said there was a child who had been found injured. The neighbour did not mention whether the child was alive or not. Her mother went to the scene and found that it was indeed her child. There were no bloodstains which suggest that she was killed elsewhere and dumped there.”

According to Mbele the post-mortem examination revealed that her head was hit by a steel object, which resulted in brain damage.

“We, as family members, are hurt. Our wish is to see the perpetrator brought to book. We understand that this was not the first incident in the area. Our question is,  what are the police doing about crime in the area? On the same weekend, a tavern owner was killed in the same street, which goes to show the high level of violence in this area.

“We are now calling on the Minister of Police, Bheki Cele, to intervene. We need community patrollers to work with the police.”

Gender-based mentor, Thembisa Tembe, condemned the act, “Our youth is under attack, what kind of nation allows its young people to die in this manner. What we are calling for, as community members, is a police satellite station in our area because police take a long time to respond to crime scenes. Police visibility is crucial. We don’t believe these crimes are committed by someone from outside this area. We need to come together as community members to fight the scourge of crime in our area.”

George Dlamini, SANCO secretary, shared Tembe’s sentiments. He called for law enforcement agencies to ensure that the perpetrator is brought to book.

Read original story on risingsunlenasia.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Andrea van Wyk

Caxton’s Digital Editorial Manager. I am a journalist and editor with experience spanning over a decade having worked for major local and national news publications across the country and as a correspondent in the Netherlands. I write about most topics with a special interest in politics, crime, human interest and conservation.
Back to top button