Former Vaalpark nightclub owner granted bail amid sexual offence probe
A 62-year-old Free State man faces multiple sexual offence charges and the victims include his stepdaughter and a 13-year-old child placed in his care.
A 62-year-old former nightclub owner from Vaalpark, who faces multiple charges of sexual offences and possession of child pornography, was granted bail following his latest appearance in the Sasolburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning.
According to Sedibeng Ster, the accused, whose identity is known to the publication, was arrested on July 30 and is facing serious charges, including rape, sexual assault, assault involving a suspected so-called ‘date-rape’ drug, grooming, trafficking of a minor and other related sexual offences, including possession of pornography.
Police said several of the charges are linked to three separate cases opened in Sasolburg between July and August. During the investigation, explicit video material depicting sexual assaults was allegedly found on the accused’s computer.
Members of the Provincial Serial and Electronic Crime Investigation Unit (SECI) traced several victims, some of who were reportedly unaware that they had been drugged, raped and filmed.
Among the victims are his stepdaughter and a 13-year-old child placed in his care by a private social worker.
According to Mojalefa Senokotsoane, the spokesperson for the NPA in the Free State, the accused was released on bail under strict conditions, including a prohibition on any contact with the victims or state witnesses.
The case has been postponed to November 7 for further investigation and directives from the director of Public Prosecutions.
Police sources said the accused’s initial bail application earlier this year was denied, but a second application, lodged by a new attorney, was granted, despite reportedly being based on the same facts.
Unconfirmed reports suggest the accused is scheduled to undergo back surgery, a medical condition he had cited during previous court proceedings.
The SECI unit’s investigation is ongoing, and additional charges of rape and possession of pornography are still expected.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za