Gauteng health misses deadline to move Esidimeni patients

The ombudsman gave the department 45 days to move more than 700 patients from unregistered NGOs.

The Gauteng Department of Health has failed to meet the deadline set out by Health Ombudsman Professor Malegapuru Makgoba to move psychiatric patients from unregistered NGOs, the Alex News reports.

On February 1, the ombudsman gave the department 45 days to move more than 700 patients from unregistered NGOs to facilities where they will receive proper care and treatment.

In his report, Makgoba recommended that all patients from the health facility Life Esidimeni, currently placed in unlawful NGOs, must be urgently moved and placed in appropriate health care establishments within the province.

He said that these facilities must have the competency to take care of the patients’ specialised needs and must be constantly available. This was to be done within 45 days to reduce risk and save lives; simultaneously, a full assessment and costing must be undertaken.

On March 8, Health MEC, Dr Gwen Ramokgopa gave an update on the transfer of patients. She said only 63 patients had been moved from two NGOs. She also stated that they were experiencing numerous challenges, the main one being that of unreachable family members of the patients. She also stated that the move of patients will not be done hastily.

Ramokgopa highlighted that the main alternatives for the patients are the Selby Park Clinic and re-opened Life Esidimeni facilities.

Caxton News Service

Read original story on alexnews.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button