Suspect in a KZN DA leader’s murder linked to gang
A man faces charges of conspiracy to commit murder, murder, possession of an unlawful firearm and possession of unlawful ammunition following the murder of a DA councillor.
A suspect at large in the murder of DA councillor and chief whip of uMngeni Municipality in KZN, Nhlalayenza Ndlovu, deposited money into a bank account belonging to a member of a notorious gang.
The gang member is applying for bail following his arrest for Ndlovu’s murder in Mpophomeni, just over a year ago.
This was revealed in an affidavit by investigating officer Sergeant Delani Chamane during the bail application of Thobani Hlongwa at the Howick Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
Chamane also disclosed, for the first time, that the case was a political murder.
Hlongwa faces charges of conspiracy to commit murder, murder, possession of an unlawful firearm, and possession of unlawful ammunition.
Chamane told the court that Hlongwa and his associates were hired to kill Ndlovu, whose political position was unknown to them.
This money was transferred by one of the suspects linked to this matter, but not yet arrested.
“He also made a confession after being traced for a long time and arrested. Hlongwa was also implicated by the witness as one of the shooters,” Chamane said.
Chamane said on December 5 last year, the day of the murder, Ndlovu had met with an inkosi to resolve a dispute with a local induna over an illegal electricity connection.
Under cross-examination, Chamane said police began searching for Hlongwa at his home in KwaPata a few days after the incident but were unable to locate him.
He added that they left their contact details with Hlongwa’s grandmother, who claimed not to know his whereabouts.
Hlongwa denied the allegations, stating his intention to plead not guilty.
“My defence is based on an alibi. On the day of the alleged incident, I was at home with my mother and grandmother, who will testify on my behalf when the matter goes to trial. During my arrest, I was threatened by the police and forced to make a statement confessing to the offences I am charged with.
“Fearing for my life and safety, I fully co-operated with the police,” he said in an affidavit.
“As I was threatened and coerced into making the statement and signing it, I deliberately used different signatures when signing the statement. I did this to alert my legal representative and the court that I had no intention of making the statement and that I signed it against my will. I deny committing any of the offences I have been charged with,” Hlongwa added.
Hlongwa told the court he was a family man and businessman.
The state argued that no statements had been presented from Hlongwa’s alibi witnesses, who are also his relatives. It also pointed out that Hlongwa had initially stated he had not provided false information to the police and would fully comply with the investigation.
Additionally, the defence had not included any of Hlongwa’s bank statements to support his claimed income from his businesses.
Hlongwa stated that he could afford bail of R3 000 and that he also had a pending drug dealing case, for which he is out on bail of R500.
The magistrate will deliver her judgment on January 9.
Read original story on witness.co.za