Urgent investigation is launched against Mpumalanga hospital

An urgent investigation has been launched against Rob Ferreira Hospital in Nelspruit due to the questionable treatment of a cancer patient, Elsie du Plessis.

Cancer patient Elsie du Plessis (42) says that she was told to prepare for the worst after a botched operation at Rob Ferreira Hospital in Mbombela.

“I was told that I could die. But I am too young to die,” said Du Plessis.

What was originally a two-centimetre tumour that had been discovered in her right breast seven months ago, eventually developed into a massive infectious ulcer that covered her whole breast.

Du Plessis was diagnosed with phyllodes cancer in 2020 after a tumour had been discovered in her right breast when she was living in Cape Town. The tumour was so big that she had to have a mastectomy at the Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town in December 2020.

She was meant to have chemo and radiation treatment for the cancer, but did not undergo the treatment in Cape Town, because in April last year she relocated to Mbombela.

“Before I left Cape Town, I googled oncology treatment in the city, and saw great information about the ‘sophisticated’ oncology unit at Rob Ferreira.”

Shortly after the move to the Lowveld, Du Plessis noticed a small tumour was once again developing in her breast.

At the end of July last year, she called the hospital to make an appointment at the oncology unit. The earliest appointment she could get was on September 27.

She was told on that day that she had to make an appointment at the oncology department as well as the breast clinic. This was scheduled for December. She arrived at the hospital for her appointment only to be told that the clinic was closed for the festive season.

In the meantime, the tumour was growing day by day.

“A two-centimetre tumour eventually grew to a massive bulge of about 30 centimetres,” she said.

She was eventually booked for an operation on January 26. The doctor allegedly said the bulge was fluid that had to be drained.

After the operation, Du Plessis was informed that they could not complete the operation, because they established that it was indeed a tumour and not just fluid build-up. The wound was closed with 12 stitches. Shortly afterwards it got infected.

“The doctors told me they could do nothing until they had received the results of tissue samples that had been taken during a biopsy.”

The tissue samples were sent to Steve Biko Hospital in Gauteng for testing. The results were eventually received back, and she was informed to see the oncology team on March 4.

“During the meeting I was (simply) informed there was nothing that could be done for me, and that I needed to prepare for the worst!” Du Plessis said this week.

“The way they treated me during the seven months is shocking. Those people do not deserve to be called doctors.

“This entire process has taken seven months. My health has deteriorated, and I am now sitting with a massive open wound on my chest due to a lack of service and professionalism.

“This is a direct reflection of poor service delivery from Rob Ferreira Hospital. The doctors are not trained and mentored properly. There are no senior doctors available to assist the interns.

“I voiced my concerns in every appointment and explained the urgency and what could go wrong if I did not receive medical care soonest. I was just not heard.”

On Friday she lodged a complaint to the management of the Mpumalanga Department of Health as well as the Office of the Health Ombud (OHO).  On Monday she was informed by the OHO that it had launched an urgent investigation against Rob Ferreira- as well as Steve Biko hospital.

Du Plessis also started with legal action against the health department.  In the meantime, she is considering moving back to Cape Town to complete the oncology treatment.

“Groote Schuur already informed me that they will continue with the treatment if I return.

“My whole life is turned upside down and I’m popping pain tablets as if they were Smarties. The worst is that I’m not the only patient suffering from bad treatment at Rob Ferreira.

“The whole system at the hospital is flawed and will need a major shake-up to be corrected.”

Questions for comment were sent directly to Sasekani Manzini, the MEC for health, as well as the department’s spokesperson. They said that they will investigate matter.

Read original story on lowvelder.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Jana Boshoff

Jana works as a senior support specialist for Caxton digital. Before that she was a journalist at the Middelburg Observer 15 years where she won numerous awards including Sanlam's Up and Coming Journalist, Caxton Multimedia Journalist of the Year, and several investigative awards. She is passionate about people and the stories untold.
Back to top button