Citizen Reporter
Reporter
2 minute read
23 Apr 2017
1:44 pm

How Eskom-linked company ‘donated R1.7m to ANC’

Citizen Reporter

ANC treasurer-general Zweli Mkhize allegedly signed off on a letter thanking the CEO of Impulse International for making a generous donation to the ruling party's birthday bash.

Zweli Mkhize. File Picture: Michel Bega.

Two payments of R1 million and R775 000 were paid into the ANC’s TG bank account by Pragasen Pather, the CEO of Impulse International, a company that received contracts worth R2 billion from Eskom.

Acting CEO of Eskom Koko Matshela is alleged to have influenced the awarding of the contracts as he was the head of the supply chain department that oversaw the awarding of the contracts to Impulse International almost two years ago.

The letter was on an ANC letterhead and signed by Mkhize

The Sunday Times reports that Mkhize pleaded with Pragasen to donate money for the ANC’s birthday bash on January 8. A payment of R1 million was made into an ANC account on January 5 and Impulse International was given a R14.2 million contract with Eskom. On January 11, another payment of R775 000 was deposited into the ANC account.

ALSO READ: Phone records expose Eskom boss’ lie 

A former employee of Impulse International told the weekly they had seen a letter from Mkhize, thanking the company for the large donation.

“The letter was on an ANC letterhead and signed … by Mkhize. It was sent to Impulse International sometime in February,” said the former employee.

READ MORE: How acting Eskom CEO’s stepdaughter’s firm was awarded tenders worth R1 billion 

A senior ANC official said the payment was not untoward and “a lot of payments’ were made into that account by people who did not receive letters of acknowledgment.

ANC spokesperson Khusela Sangoni said the party was unaware of the donation.

“As a matter of principle, we do not accept any donations that are proceeds of crime. We will look into the veracity of these allegations. If such monies had been received then we will rectify the situation,” she told Sunday Times.

ALSO READ:

Treasury blocks Zuma’s son and Guptas from cashing in on R4bn Eskom deals – report

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.