No one is funding the African Content Movement – Hlaudi Motsoeneng

Despite claims regarding the party's lack of outside funding, its leader appears to believe it can beat the ANC.


On being confronted on 702 and Cape Talk over who was funding his newly-formed political party, the African Content Movement, former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng said “no one”, adding the party was self-funded.

“No one is funding the movement, we are using our own money,” he said.

Motsoeneng added that the party’s top leaders included “doctors” and other people who were putting money into the party themselves.

“Here is the good story about my movement, we are already in power,” he added. “The chairperson of our movement is one of the councillors here in Gauteng.”

Despite what Motsoeneng claimed was a total absence of funding by anyone other than its own leadership, the former COO has high hopes for his movement, and for himself.

WATCH: Hlaudi Motsoeneng announces his new party, the African Content Movement

“I am happy that you are addressing me as the president because I am going to be the president,” he told interviewer Eusebius McKaiser at the beginning of their chat.

Motsoeneng announced the formation of the new party in December last year, going so far at the time as to say he believed he had a chance of contesting the presidency in 2019 and that he didn’t think Cyril Ramaphosa and the ANC could defeat him.

He held a press briefing on December 13 to make a “historical” announcement, launching the party with the slogan “the future is in your hands”.

Motsoeneng said he had decided to start the party because he saw that politicians were not helping citizens. His party would listen to the citizens and give them exactly what they wanted, he claimed.

“Today people say Hlaudi is dangerous because they have realised that this Hlaudi is going to take over,” he said at the time.

(Additional reporting by Vhahangwele Nemakonde)

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.