News / South Africa / Local News

Gugulethu Kgongoane
1 minute read
5 Dec 2019
12:53 pm

Two children die, one hospitalised after eating same meal for breakfast

Gugulethu Kgongoane

Police are not yet sure how the children died or if it is related to the meal they shared and are waiting for post mortem results to confirm the cause of death.

File image: iStock

Following the death of two children who died after having breakfast at home, Sebokeng police have opened two inquest dockets. A third child, who also ate the same meal, is fighting for her life in hospital, reports Sedibeng Ster.

According to police, the two dead children are part of a group of eight cousins who live in the same house in Tshepisong.

North West police spokesperson Captain Aubrey Moopeloa said the children ate samp and sausages at home on Monday night.

The following morning, they had samp with tinned fish for breakfast.

However, four of the children fell ill after the meal on Tuesday morning.

Moopeloa said the children also started developing rashes on their skin.

Together with their grandmother, they walked to Tshepisong Clinic, but two of the children died shortly after arriving at the clinic.

“An ambulance was called to take them to hospital but paramedics who arrived declared two children, aged four and seven, dead.

“The others, aged four and 13, were taken to Sebokeng Hospital. The 13-year-old was later released and the four-year-old is still in hospital.

“We cannot confirm that they were killed by the food they ate. We can’t even say it’s food poisoning. The post mortem results will confirm the cause of death,” said the police.

Moopeloa said the children belong to three sets of parents who were at work at the time of the incident.

He said the children did not eat anything else outside of the home, and the grandmother said she did not know what happened, as they changed clothes after eating and she rushed them to the clinic.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.