Solly Msimanga’s horrible day gets worse as his house nearly catches fire
WATCH VIDEO: As if the mayor's Thursday couldn't get any worse, his neighbour's house nearly burnt to ash.
Mayor of Tshwane Solly Msimanga took to Twitter on Thursday to confirm that his neighbour’s house had caught fire.
There were reports that the fire had spread to the mayor’s house, but he said nothing about that, tweeting only that a gas bottle had exploded at his neighbour’s house, but fortunately no one was injured.
I wld like to confirm media reports that there was a fire at the house next door to mine, it seems like the fire was a result of a gas bottle exploding. Luckily no 1 was hurt & I would like to thank every1 for their concern ans support during this unfortunate event. @CityTshwane
— Solly Msimanga (@SollyMsimanga) May 17, 2018
There were initial fears that the mayor’s house was being targeted amid heightened concerns about negative publicity in his office. However, nothing quite so sinister was afoot.
His chief of staff had ended up quitting on Thursday night, at his request, after a scandal around possible fraud related to her qualifications deepened.