Three men arrested in connection with taxi violence murders
Three men have been arrested by provincial police for the murders of two taxi owners in the Ilembe and Umzinyathi districts.
The KwaZulu-Natal provincial taxi task team have arrested three men wanted for the murders of two taxi owners as taxi violence continues to escalate in the province.
On March 27 last year, 31-year-old Sizwe Khumalo was shot dead by two men while parked at KwaMathonsi bus stop in the Sithebe area, near Mandeni.
A case of murder was opened at Nyoni police station before it was transferred to the provincial task team for further investigation.
The two suspects, both 32-years-old, remained at large for almost a year before they were found in the Nyoni area and arrested earlier this week on Tuesday, February 9.
According to KZN provincial police spokesperson, Major Thulani Zwane, one of the men already had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court for the possession of an unlicensed firearm.
“The second suspect was arrested because his licensed firearm, which was seized during the shooting, was positively linked to Khumalo’s murder,” said Zwane.
Both men appeared in Eshowe Magistrate’s Court yesterday, February 10, on charges of murder.
In another operation, the KZN taxi task team arrested a man who was on their most-wanted list for the murder of 50-year-old taxi owner, Delani Mathonsi.
Mathonsi was driving in his vehicle with a friend along Pomeroy Main Road, near Tugela Ferry last year, September 16 when they were attacked by two gunmen.
The shooters were allegedly in their own car when they drove past Mathonsi’s vehicle and opened fire – killing Mathonsi and seriously injuring his friend.
Zwane said one of the attackers – 40-year-old Mlayezeni Khumalo, was immediately arrested by local police in the Pomeroy area and was found with an R1 semi-automatic rifle suspected to have been used in the shooting.
He remains in custody on charges of murder, attempted murder and possession of an unlicensed firearm.
After the case was transferred to the KZN taxi task team, the second suspect was identified on February 5 as he was appearing at Cleveland Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg on separate charges.
He was then brought back to KZN and appeared at Msinga Magistrate’s Court on charges of murder and attempted murder. His trial will begin on April 6.
KwaZulu-Natal police commissioner, Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni praised the task team for their work in arresting these men and fighting the ongoing taxi violence in the province.
“We believe the suspects will be linked to the other taxi-related murderers in the province,” said Ngobene.
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message with your name and surname to 061 718 4438.
Please read our WhatsApp broadcast list disclaimer.
Join us on BBM at 59015786
Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

