By-election D-Day in Nquthu as all the big parties get ready to slug it out
The ANC denied that it was them who disrupted the installation of the new Council following last year's elections, saying that 'no party received an outright majority that is why everyone who is registered to vote in Nquthu should do so
It is crunch-time for all parties in Nquthu with the ANC, IFP, DA, EFF and NFP, are fighting for votes in Wednesday’s watershed by-elections in all 17 wards.
The by-election in the small town has been elevated to a national referendum on the popularity of President Zuma and the ANC. All parties have thrown huge resources into the campaign with visits on Sunday by President Zuma and IFP President, Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi.

Earlier, the EFF’s Julius Malema held meetings outside the Nquthu municipality with local traditional leader, Inkosi Johannes Bibi Mdlalose, over a dispute within the Mdlalose clan.
Talking to the media he said the EFF ‘has had a very good positive response from the Nquthu community’.
“I am grateful that a number of people do follow and support the party everywhere I’ve been in Nquthu.”
Last Wednesday, the DA, which is contesting all wards, held door-to-door campaigns and a meeting in town with Mmusi Maimane addressing crowds.

In his speech on Sunday, Dr Mangosuthu Buthelezi told a rally in the area, that ‘anything can happen in the election’.
“Since the August elections, there has been no Council in Nquthu because of the ANC’s intolerance. Now power is in the hands of voters.
“The only decision that can be made for Nquthu is to vote IFP. Service delivery is being put on hold.
“The ANC is scared that there will be a swing in power that will see the Umzinyathi District fall under the IFP; that is why the ANC has sent its entire leadership to Nquthu.”
“The wards of Nquthu are now going to have access to roads, water, electricity and more service delivery – this is the ANC’s response to the needs of the community.”
He added that it was not only non-ANC voters who were disillusioned with the ANC but many ANC members and veterans were also now openly critical of President Zuma. Dr Buthelezi promised a bigger role for traditional leaders should the IFP take power.
ANC PEC member, Nomagugu Simelane Zulu, denied that the ANC had stopped service delivery and said the ANC is the only party that is able to deliver services to the community and that ‘the people of Nquthu have welcomed them with warm hands showing them, the ANC, trust.’
More on Nquthu:
Nquthu Council reaches impasse
MEC places Nquthu Council under administration amid chaotic scenes
Sixth time unlucky as Nquthu Council remains deadlocked …
In his speech in Nquthu on Sunday, President Zuma said the ANC is the only party that brings service delivery to the people of Nquthu and the entire South Africa. “People are happy because when they cry the ANC answers.
“The wards of Nquthu are now going to have access to roads, water, electricity and more service delivery – this is the ANC’s response to the needs of the community.”
The ANC denied that it was them who disrupted the installation of the new Council following last year’s elections, saying that ‘no party received an outright majority that is why everyone who is registered to vote in Nquthu should do so.’
See inside for more Nquthu election news.



