MunicipalNews

Municipal flat residents take a firm stand against crime

Ward committee members, as well as the general public, convened to discuss issues of crime in Ward 3, particularly the 72 municipal flats in Suryaville .

A Community Policing Forum (CPF) meeting took place at the Ward 3 War Room on Thursday, May 25.

Ward 3 Councillor, Matthew Shunmugam and members of the local police attended the meeting.

This meeting served as an update to the previous CPF meeting held on March 7.

Residents of Ward 3 convened to discuss issues of crime, particularly the 72 municipal flats in Suryaville .

The meeting also introduced the new sector one and two commander, Constable Thuli Nkosi.

SAPS Warrant Officer Langa gave some of the crime statistics in sector two for the period of April 1 to May 25.

“Five cases of burglaries were reported. The most common items stolen included TV’s, laptops, tools and lawn-mowers.”

The report indicated that residents were also accosted in velds and robbed at knifepoint of their cellphones.

The main crime faced in Ward 3 was theft out of motor vehicles, where 10 cases were reported. The majority of these incidents took place in Lennoxton and Suryaville.

“Police appeal to the community to work hand-in-hand. Please contact the police if you have any information pertaining to crime.”

Commenting on the crime statistics, Cllr Shunmugam advised residents to be vigilant in order to prevent being a victim of crime, especially during winter.

Police have also made 35 arrests relating to drug abuse so far.

“If you take 35 drug dealers out of the equation, many lives will be saved. We commend the police for that; it is a positive step,” commented Cllr Shunmugam.

With reference to previous meetings held with SANCA and the Child Welfare, it was shockingly revealed that children as young as five-years old were exposed to drug abuse.

Jerry Tealo, chairman of the flats Body Corporation, thanked the police for acting on the lack of police presence at the flats,

“Since the last meeting, we have seen police patrolling the flats regularly. Therefore, I am thankful the police are taking the matter seriously,” he said.

Taking an active stand against crime, Tealo said the Body Corporation, together with the support of Cllr Shumugam, decided to lock the main gates.

This was to limit the number of people entering and exiting the flat, in order to eliminate unscrupulous activity at night.

A notice in this regard was given to all municipal flats residents.

“As of June 1, the main gate will be opened at 5am and locked at 9pm. The pedestrian gates will be monitored by the members of the Body Corporation. All 72 flat owners will receive a key for the gate,” he said.

Residents of the flat received this change with much concern, and grievances were to be discussed with the Body Corporation.

“For every problem there is a solution. We, as the residents of the flats and the Body Corporation, should not look at the problem and find other problems,” concluded Tealo.

Must read stories on the site:

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button