The public protest against electricity rates increases takes place this Friday.
Residents are reminded of the protest action on August 25, with protesters urged to assemble in the Scott Street Pick n Pay parking area at 10am.
Marchers will then move to in front of Town Hall.
In front of the municipal building and Town Hall, Fred van Dyk will hand over a memorandum of concerns to Mayor, Makhosini Nkosi.
This document asks hard questions of municipal leadership.
Van Dyk has encouraged residents to bring placards for the protest, and emphasised the protest was purely intended to make a statement against high electricity increases.
“I don’t want any violence and the protest must be done in an orderly manner. We need the whole town there to have its say.”
Van Dyk has also discouraged residents from any placards or clothing showing political affiliation, as the march was established for all Newcastillians alike.
He said it was a chance to stand united against being ‘ripped off’.
“People pay because they are scared but it can’t work like that. It’s sad it had to come to this, because the municipality isn’t willing to budge,” he said in an interview earlier this month.
For further details, contact van Dyk on 082 871 1728.



