MunicipalNews

Muni workers wait to work

MOGALAKWENA municipality workers still waiting to get back to their work following a court order in the labour court in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

MOGALAKWENA municipality workers still waiting in participation to get back to their work following a court order in the labour court in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

The workers approached the court since they stopped working due to the ongoing struggle and chaos at the municipality that started last year November.

The court order states the following:

That the respondent (Mogalakwena Municipality) guarantees to all employees desiring to return to the workplace the right to return to work and be allowed safe entry to their workplace.

The right not to be victimised or intimidated in their workplace.

The workers did return to their workplace early on Wednesday morning but were denied entrance to their offices. They were told by the management to wait in the old councillor chambers. In the afternoon they were still waiting for the management to address them.

In his review of the state of the nation address (SONA) recently, the minister of cooperative governance and traditional affairs, Pravin Gordhan, said service delivery in the Mogalakwena Municipality was to receive urgent attention within 48 hours (from the time of the speech).

The controversy surrounding the Mogalakwena Municipality dates back to November 2014 when the ANC removed, with the alleged aid of police, mayor William Mabuela and top management from the premises. They were forcibly replaced by the controversial former mayor, Thlalefi Mashemaite.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Review in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button