
POLOKWANE – AN unemployed Julia Mabula of Polokwane Ext 78 has been left stranded after the Polokwane Municipality’s red ants demolished her shack on Wednesday.
Mabula (25), a mother one, said she was given authorisation by the Disteneng Relocation Committee in February last year to build her shack in the area.
“I paid a man R300 to built my shack, and it took the Polokwane Municipality only 20 minutes to demolish it. I don’t know where to go,” said Mabula.
Portia Ratombo (31) and her two-year-old son were also left stranded when their shack was demolished.
“I build my shack in February last year when the municipality moved me from Disteneng. Today they are telling me that I must stay in Polokwane Ext 106. I have four children and it is just fortunate that the other three are in Venda,” said Ratombo.
Polokwane Municipality Spokesperson Tidimalo Chuene said the municipality was resuming with its relocation programme, and that the municipality and the residents of Disteneng had agreed, without duress, that the municipality would re-settle identified and qualifying households on demarcated sites in Ext 78.
“There are people who settled in Ext 78 and they were not supposed to be there. We targeted 200 people to be relocated. Those who qualify for stands at Ext 78, but don’t have one should in the meantime go to Ext 106. The number of people who qualify for stands exceeds the number of available stands at Ext 78,” she said.
“The municipality will provide assistance with regard to the demolition of shacks and transportation of household goods, but will not be responsible for the rebuilding of shacks.”
She said Mabula and Ratombo were relocated to Ext 106.














